William Jackson, M.Ed.
HBCU Alumni – South Carolina State University
HBCU Instructor – Edward Waters College
Social Media Visionary for #MyQuestToTeach. Share your voice, share your story, let the world hear you.
- Why Do You Blog– bloggers must have a reason to do what they do. There should be passion and commitment when putting fingers to keyboard. Why you blog is a very important statement and should have a definite answer and purpose. During the blogging process “why” may change just as content changes, every blogger should have an answer as to “Why Do You Blog.”
- Who Is Your Demographic– an important element to go along with “Why” is; Who is your demographic? Is there an age group, gender, nationality, lifestyle, culture or specific group you want to connect with? People enjoy having a connection with bloggers. Any successful blogger knows who their audience is and tries to give them what they need and to provide relevant content.
- What Type of Content Do You Share– sharing is very important. You want your audience to understand that you are sharing a part of yourself with them. You’re not thrusting things down their throat, but providing something that they need or as you grow in your writing giving your readers something they think they need. Create the atmosphere of sharing which helps in receiving feedback from the reader/viewer.
- How Do You Support Your Brand Do you have a domain name, are you using a free site, is there a lot of advertising, is there adult content, video, audio, and multimedia? Supporting your content on a platform requires some research on your part to validate you and build your Brand. In the educational, political, and business environments you have to backup what you have stated with dynamic information links, quotes, and data. In your blogging you’re competing with traditional media so go that extra step to help readers understand where you’re coming from, how it can help them and where else they can go for additional resources.
- Do You Use Photos, Video, Graphics– The power of a picture, video or multimedia element can never be under estimated. If there is a video that can be used or you create your own do it. This provides an extra element to attract and keep readers to your content. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) does need help with text (words), but additional elements that provide audio (podcasting), video (YouTube) and multimedia to create an interactive platform. Never be scared to branch off into new areas to help engage and excite your readers.
- Do You Offer A Service– What can you provide your audience? What type of service or services do you have? The popular blogs of relationship building, natural hair, nails (hands and feet) provide a service that can be seen and is engaging. There is a service that results can be seen. Think hard on what service you can provide if this is your choice. Be sure that you can keep your customers happy.
- Do You Evolve– One of the important things about blogging is keeping and expanding your audience that means evolving. No blog stays the same just as people change, there is an evolutionary process that writers go through. Just as age and maturity happens so should a bloggers content evolve because their readers evolve and change. What you wrote 3 years ago will not be of the same interest for your readers now. Their lives have evolved (changed), so as a blogger your content must evolve also.
- Do You Have a Brand– Can you Brand yourself to the public? What are you known for, what does the title of your Blog bring thoughts and feelings of? Branding is important because of the interest it generates in readership. Creating a Brand allows for Marketability and potential profits. Branding shows you, who you are so the public will make that connection.
- Can You Be Marketable– to make money is only one important aspects of blogging. Eventually a blogger considers how can they make money so must be wise in how they Market their content. This may take a team to get the word out about you and promote what you are doing. Social Media tools are diverse this must be strategic in application. These elements are worth considering and using as a guide to anyone blogging. Your blogging content, goals, designs and objectives will change the more you blog so be ready to make adjustments and evolve to keep pace and stay important enough to be followed, read, quoted, inspiring, engaged and influential.